Imvros: Journey to the Edge of Hellenism
In the long-suffering Imbros, the dividing lines are blurred. Greek communities that insist on flourishing in Turkish territory. Painful past and hope for rebirth. Settlements and churches that resist time harmonize with the eternally impressive natural landscape. In this scene we will photograph the immersion of a different Easter, which Imbrians from all over the world return to celebrate in their ancestral lands.
The rite of decoration of the Epitaph, the service of the Resurrection that takes place successively from village to village thanks to the unique priest of the island, the different traditional table of Easter Sunday. We will experience everything in the 6 days of the trip, as with the guidance of the rapporteur Yiannis Rizomarkos, we will explore the peculiarities of Imbros and we will capture decades of human history in our clicks. We will meet the people who, in defiance of the modern world, maintain the community of about 400 Greeks with their schools, churches and businesses and we will visually tell their stories. But, above all, we will be left to the greatness of the energy of the place, as we live a life experience on the edge of the Aegean.
During the trip, the participants will take photos every day with Yiannis, receiving personal tips for approaching the topics and editing their images, without missing the free time for fun and exploration. Participants must have a laptop with them for editing the images.
The aim of the seminar is for everyone, apart from an unforgettable experience, to gain the ability to photograph the character of the place they are visiting and to return with valuable artistic supplies.
Suggested prior knowledge: Photography Basics
550€ + VAT in double room & 650€ + VAT in single room
The trip has been postponed due to the current situation with the Covid-19 pandemic. New dates will be announced when conditions allow.
– Accommodation: 5 nights with breakfast at hotel in Panagia.
– Travel: The van departs from Alexandroupolis to Kabatepe and back.
– Cost of seminar
– The ferry from Kabatepe to Imbros and return.
– Travel to the island.
– Everything else is explicitly mentioned
* The daily cost of living in Imbros is no different from that of the rest of Turkey, a full meal costs around £ 40. The school, for those who wish, will make the necessary reservations for the meals on the night of the Resurrection and on Easter Sunday. Traveling to and from Kabatepe on the island is easy and very economical and will be done by local means.